Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Sean Hehir Wins Dublin City Marathon 2013



In respect to Sean and Dick Hooper (his coach), I won't go into the "secrets" of Sean's preparation. In reality, there is no secret. This photo only begins to tell the story of how much time, planning, training, thinking, and treatments went into winning this race. 6.30am and 6.30pm training double days for months on end. Even a collision with a cyclist at mile 24 didn't stop him for victory. 
This time last year I started to work with Sean. Weekly, sometimes twice weekly treatments of deep tissue massage and traditional Chinese acupuncture with regular hydro ice baths. In the year leading up to this race, Sean had made a senior Irish team for the European Cross Country championships, he improved his PB over the Half Marathon to 65.11 and has won every road race he toed the line to bar 1 through Ireland. Pretty impressive year. 
This single race alone was one of the most proudest moments in my working career. To get to know Sean personally throughout this year, I see the meticulous planning in which he does everything. From his own job as a Primary School Teacher, to his training. Everything is 100%. 

Finally, everyone who has been in with me over the last few months, I was delighted to receive the texts from each and every one of you to say you have either improved your PB or for the first timers, that you have exceeded your predicted time. I'm a very happy therapist today, and it's days like this that I can say that this is why I love what I am doing. From the winner of the race to a 6 hour finisher. Yous both have something in common. Yous both worry the same amount in the lead up to this race!! 

Here's to another year worth of training!


Evan

No comments:

Post a Comment